Sunday, April 14, 2013

Study, Socialize, or Sleep? by Brittany Beyer

While in college, time occasionally allows students two out of three activities including studying, sleeping, and having a social life.  According to an interview of a few UW-L students, most would agree that sleep is the activity cast aside. 

“My sleeping pattern has changed,” states freshman Madison Geliche, “mostly because I have people in my room later than I would have back in high school.  Also, the homework and studying cause me to stay up later than I would have prior to this year.” 

Senior Mari Lentz and junior Sam Olson share similar thoughts.  “Before college I went to bed around the same time each night, and now it’s basically whenever I’m done with my stuff I can go to bed,” says Lentz.  She adds, “I would think it’s because I have more things to do now.  Prior to college, I had minimal homework and didn’t work past 8pm.  Now, I work late and have a lot more stuff to do and more people to hang out with.”  Olson also agrees that “through my social interactions, work, and homework it has made me change my sleeping and eating habits to later in the evening.  We as students just need more time.”

Adults are supposed to receive seven to nine hours of sleep per night, according to the National Sleep Foundation.  Students who are not getting the appropriate amount of sleep find it is harder to concentrate in classes, exams become more difficult, and their moods begin to change. 

While many UW-L students put sleep on the backburner, sophomore Nikki Soler says, “I actually sleep more at college than high school.  I guess I manage my time and do not take naps so I can get seven hours a night.  I try to be sleeping by midnight.” 

Tips for “upping your sleep” include setting a regular bedtime, de-caffeinating, and exercising, according to Mental Health America.