The Wisconsin Public Service urges hunters and fishers to check the status of heating systems in close quarters. Be sure there are no fire hazards and proper ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide. “CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas and can be produced by improper burning and venting of fossil fuels such as natural gas, wood, propane, gasoline or kerosene,” according to WPS.
High CO levels can cause headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, confusion, flu-like symptoms, and possibly death. For any of these symptoms immediately seek fresh air. Open all of the windows in the quarters and dial 9-1-1 if there are any health concerns.
As a matter of routine this time of year, test smoke alarms and be sure to have extra batteries on hand. Please recycle old batteries. Check chimneys and vents which may be plugged by debris.
Hunters should also avoid shooting near power lines. A shot to a line can cause damage for an entire electrical area.
Contact WPS 24-hour Emergency Service at 800-450-7240 to report a dangerous hunting situation or location.